First thing you need to know:
- On a 3 by 3 rubik’s cube the middle square of each face doesn’t move, and thus represents the color of that face.
- The cube must be solved layer by layer rather then face by face, that means that the center and corner squares must match the face next to them.
- Hold the cube with the “Front” face towards you.
- Each turn is 1/4 turn rotation or 90°.
- By default each move is clockwise. If move is inverted – counter-clockwise – it uses an “i” indicator.
Step 1 – Create a cross on one layer:
- Find the face with an orange middle square and place that side as the top layer.
- Locate an orange center pieces and rotate it in the bottom layer so it is lined up with its corresponding color.
Turn F 180° to bring it to top layer.
- Repeat for 3 additional orange centers to create an orange cross shape on the top layer.
Step 2 – Add corners to the cross to complete one layer:
- Locate the orange corner piece in the bottom layer so it is lined up with its corresponding colors.
- Do Ri Di R D.
Repeat until the piece is on the top layer correctly placed.
- Repeat for 3 additional orange corners until you have completed the first layer.
Step 3 – Middle corners to complete middle layer:
- Flip the cube to orange face is not on the bottom layer.
- Locate the center cube of the top layer that matches the middle center square and line them up.
- If the color on the top need to go to the left face use this sequence:
Ui Li U L U F Ui Fi.
If the color on the top need to go to the right face use this sequence:
U R Ui Ri Ui Fi U F.
- Repeat until middle layer is complete. If one of the cubes in the middle layer is flipped, use left or right sequence to get it out and into the top layer, and then use right or left sequence to get it back in.
Step 4 – Create a cross on top layer:
- To create a cross on the top layer, look at the squares along the top layer cross and match their state to one of the following:
- Single central square.
- L shape.
- One line.
The below sequence would need to be repeated based on the initial state of the top layer.
0 times for state number 4.
1 time for state number 3.
2 times for state number 2.
and 3 times for state number 1.
For state number 2 rotate the cube so that the L shape is in the top-left corner.
For state number 3 rotate the cube so the line is horizontal.
Do this sequence:
F R U Ri Ui Fi.
- Once you have a cross, each center cube of the top layer needs to line up with middle layer.
Rotate the top layer to match as many centers as possible.
If all match move on to step 5.
If only 2 match, turn the cube so one matching face is in the back and one is to your right and do this sequence:
R U Ri U R U U Ri Ui until all center cubes match.
Step 5- Matching the corners of the top layer:
The 4 corners of the top layer need to be in their correct position.
Skip forward if corners are in the correct position only flipped, otherwise rotate top layer so one corner corresponds with it’s corner colors and place it in the bottom right.
Do the sequence:
U R Ui Li U Ri Ui L
Repeat till all corners are in their correct position.
- Flip the corners that are scrambled.
Starting with the bottom right corner do:
Ri Di R D
Repeat until corner is completed (may take up to 4 times).
Rotate only top layer and repeat sequence for the rest of the scrambled corners.
- Rotate top and bottom layer to match middle layer colors.
You might also be interested in:
Some more cubes you might enjoy: